PROTECTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
Application and Scope
Definition of Personal Information
Collection and Use of Personal Information
We collect most of our information about you directly from you, with your consent when required by law. For example, when you take a test drive, online request an appointment or vehicle quote, purchase or lease a vehicle, or service your vehicle, Terra Nova GMC Buick will collect information about you. We may also conduct contests, quizzes, surveys, promotions and offer several forms of personalized services such as vehicle warranty, servicing and maintenance and OnStar services, in respect of which you may be requested to provide personal information, such as name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, age and other information that may be required to provide or administer these services or promotions.
[We may also obtain personal information about you from third parties, with your consent. For example, for credit evaluation purposes, we may need to determine your creditworthiness through contact with an independent credit reporting agency.]
Terra Nova GMC Buick generally collects personal information from or about its customers and other individuals with whom it deals, and thereafter uses it, for the following purposes:
- to establish, develop and preserve its business relationship respectively with its customers and other individuals with whom it deals;
- to create, establish and administer customers' accounts and to respond to customer or supplier inquiries;
- to provide the products or services that it offers, or receive the products or services that it requests, and ensure that all related transactions are supported and implemented;
- to authenticate the identity and preserve the privacy of customers contacting Terra Nova GMC Buick by telephone, electronic means or otherwise;
- to conduct market analysis, as well as for internal training and quality assurance purposes;
- [as necessary, to establish or verify the credit of persons that use, or intend to purchase, one or more of the products or services offered by Terra Nova GMC Buick];
- to manage its General Motors Terra Nova GMC Buick business and ensure the efficiency, reliability and security of its systems and networks;
- to meet legal and regulatory requirements and allow Terra Nova GMC Buick to meet contractual requirements relating to the products and services provided to customers;
- to ensure its records are accurate and to protect customers and Terra Nova GMC Buick from error and fraud;
- to understand and assess the interests, wants and changing needs of customers with a view to improving its products and services and developing new ones;
- to provide personalized products and services as well as product recommendations to customers; and
- subject to our customers' Right to Withdraw Consent, to conduct surveys on the quality of our products, services or customer service or to provide our customers with offers for additional products and services that we feel may be of interest to our customers or that we believe meet our customers' changing needs.
- If you have applied for employment with Terra Nova GMC Buick, the personal information submitted with your job application will be used for recruitment and other customary human resources purposes. For example, we may send you information about new job opportunities within Terra Nova GMC Buick as well as other career development resources.
Terra Nova GMC Buick obtains consent from the individuals concerned for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information through various means: verbally or through written documents, including agreements, forms including vehicle purchase/leasing forms and repair orders, welcome kits as well as printed or electronic communications. The form of consent sought by Terra Nova GMC Buick will vary according to the sensitivity of the personal information, the reasonable expectations of the individuals and any requirements or standards established by law.
- In certain circumstances, personal information may be collected, used or disclosed without consent. These exceptional circumstances may include:
- where it is clearly in the interest of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way, such as in emergencies, where the life, health or safety of the individual is threatened, or where legal, medical or security reasons make it impossible or impractical to obtain consent;
- when information is being collected, used or shared for the detection, prevention of or remediation to, the breach of an agreement, fraud or other illegal activity, and the collection of consent might defeat the purpose of collecting the information;
- to collect a debt; and
- to comply with a subpoena, warrant or other court order, or as may be otherwise required or authorized by law or by any regulatory bodies having jurisdiction.
Right to Withdraw Consent
Consent may be withdrawn at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice; however, without such consent, Terra Nova GMC Buick may be limited in the services or products it is able to provide customers. You may also withdraw your consent as follows:
Mail marketing, Telephone marketing and Quality control communications.
You may decide that you prefer Terra Nova GMC Buick not to use your personal information to promote new and/or additional products and services which may be of interest to you and refuse further Terra Nova GMC Buick contact by mail or telephone for marketing purposes or by email or telephone for quality control purposes. If this is the case, you may advise us by contacting customer service or contacting us using the information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
Commercial Electronic Communications.
You can always limit the communications that Terra Nova GMC Buick sends to you. To opt out of commercial emails, simply click the link labeled 'unsubscribe' or 'opt out' at the bottom of any commercial electronic communication we send you. Please note that even if you opt out of promotional communications, we may still need to contact you with important information about your account or for other purposes as may be permitted or required under applicable laws. If you have any questions about your choices or if you need any assistance with opting out, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
Sharing of Personal Information
Third party or affiliated service providers.
We may hire service providers, which may be affiliates, to perform services on our behalf. This may include, without limitation, a person or an organization retained by Terra Nova GMC Buick to perform work on its behalf. We provide them with a limited amount of information which is necessary in order for them to provide the services required. They are prohibited from using the information for purposes other than to facilitate and carry out the services they have been engaged to provide. These service providers are not permitted to disclose this information to others.
As permitted or required by law.
From time to time, Terra Nova GMC Buick may be compelled to disclose personal information in response to a law, regulation, court order, subpoena, valid demand, search warrant, government investigation or other legally valid request or inquiry. We may also disclose information to our accountants, auditors, agents and lawyers in connection with the enforcement or protection of our legal rights. We also reserve the right to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that we, in good faith, believe to be unlawful or to law enforcement and emergency services providers, in an emergency or where required or permitted by law. We may release certain personal information when we have reasonable grounds to believe that such release is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of others and ourselves, in accordance with or as authorized by law.
[Terra Nova GMC Buick TO DETERMINE WHAT APPLIES TO Terra Nova GMC Buick SHIP ONLINE ACTIVITY]
Terra Nova GMC Buick generally collects and uses personal information from or about its website visitors and users as follows:
- Information you provide. In many cases, we collect personal information directly from you when you visit or use our website. For instance, we may collect the following types of information:
Requests for Product and/or Service.
- Technical information. When you visit our website, we may use electronic means such as cookies to collect technical information. This information may include information about your visit to our website, including the IP address of your computer and which browser you used to view our website, your operating system, resolution of screen, location, language settings in browsers, the site you came from, keywords searched (if arriving from a search engine), the number of page views, information you entered, advertisements you have seen, etc. This data is used to measure and improve the effectiveness of our website or enhance the experience for our customers. For instance, it may be used to ensure that the products advertised on our website are available in your area or that we are not showing you the same ads repeatedly. We treat this information as personal information when it is associated with your account or contact information. We also collect and use the following information when you visit and/or interact with us on our website:
We use Google Analytics which allows us to see information on user website activities including, but not limited to, page views, source and time spent on our website. This information is depersonalized and is displayed as numbers, meaning that it cannot be tracked back to individuals. You may opt out of our use of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt out page.
We use Google AdWords Remarketing to advertise Terra Nova GMC Buick across the Internet and to advertise on third party websites (including Google) to previous visitors to our website. AdWords remarketing will display ads to you based on what parts of the Terra Nova GMC Buick website you have viewed by placing a cookie on your web browser. It could mean that we advertise to previous visitors who haven't completed a task on our site or this could be in the form of an advertisement on the Google search results page, or a site in the Google Display Network. This cookie does not in any way identify you or give access to your computer or mobile device. The cookie is only used to indicate to other websites that you have visited a particular page on our website, so that they may show you ads relating to that page. If you do not wish to participate in our Google AdWords Remarketing, you can opt out by visiting Google's Ads Preferences Manager].
Terra Nova GMC Buick does not allow third-party cookies on its website for purposes of delivering third parties' advertising based on preferences or interests known or inferred from the data collected for advertising purposes (often referred to as Online Behavioural Advertising or OBA).]
Your Choice with Cookies.
Privacy Policies of Third Parties.
Personal Information Outside of Canada
In some cases, personal information that we manage may be transferred, processed and stored outside Canada, and therefore may be available to government authorities under lawful orders and laws applicable outside of Canada. Terra Nova GMC Buick will strive to protect personal information disclosed to third parties by contractual agreements requiring that those third parties adhere to confidentiality and security procedures and protections that are, at a minimum, equivalent to those employed by Terra Nova GMC Buick itself.
Security of Personal Information
We will use reasonable security measures to protect your personal information against unauthorized access. Terra Nova GMC Buick has implemented security measures that contain administrative, technical and physical controls that are designed to safeguard your personal information.
Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes for which it was collected and for which consent was received, unless otherwise required or permitted by law. Personal information that is no longer required to fulfil the identified purposes or for a purpose required or permitted by law, will be destroyed, erased or made anonymous. Terra Nova GMC Buick has developed and implemented retention procedures, and will ensure destruction of personal information in a method that prevents improper access.
Access and Correction
Terra Nova GMC Buick respects your right to access and correct your personal information. If you need assistance updating your personal information, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
How to Contact Us
Your Right to Privacy
Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) respects your right to privacy. Any information about yourself that you give us will be used for internal purposes.
Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) will only share your information with third party organizations if it is required to:
- Assist in the repair or estimate of a repair.
- Complete your repair transaction.
- Complete the purchase or lease of your vehicle.
- Complete the purchase of goods and services.
- Aide in the follow up of your inquiries.
- Assist in a legal matter where required.
Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) may use your information for internal audits of our policies and procedures or for loyalty marketing purposes.
Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) does not sell any information that you may provide to outside sources.
Web Site Collection and Use of Information
Information Collected Through Our Website, Methods of Collection and How We Use This Information
All information on our site is free to browse at your leisure without the need for you to provide us with any personal information. Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) does collect "aggregate" information, which is non-personally identifiable information. This means that we do not track these items on an individual basis that identifies you, but rather accumulate this information on an aggregate basis that includes all site visitors. Non-personal information includes tracking the site pages visited or the amount of time spent on our site.
Our primary goal in collecting aggregate information is to be able to perform site metrics that allow us to improve the functionality of the web site. We need to collect aggregate information in order to track page visits, recognize peak usage times and analyze potential site redesign.
When you visit our web site a server housing the pages automatically generates a "session log." We use session logs to help us determine how people travel through our site. In this way, we can structure our pages so that the information most frequently visited is easier to find. By tracking page visits, we can also determine if the information we're providing is being used. The data generally gathered is the Internet Protocol (IP) address from which you came (which contains no personal information), the web site that referred you, the pages you visited and the date and time of those visits. This data may be used to compile aggregate and statistical data to help in web site design, to identify popular features, to measure site activity, and to perform analytics on your experience to improve our web site. Site metrics for Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) may be shared within our family of companies, and with service providers and vendors. The information shared will be aggregate data and will not include any of your personally identifiable information.
When you view one of our web sites or interactive advertisements, we may use "cookies" to collect aggregate data. A "cookie" is a small text file that helps us in many ways to make your visit to our web site more enjoyable and meaningful to you. For example, cookies avoid you having to log in every time you come back to our web site. They also allow us to tailor a web site or advertisement to better match your interests and preferences. There are a couple different types of cookies. A "session" cookie is stored only in your computer's working memory (RAM) and only lasts for your browsing session. When you close all your browser's windows, or when you shut down your computer, the session cookie disappears forever. A "persistent" cookie is stored on your computer's hard drive until a specified date, which could be tomorrow, next week, or 10 years from now. Persistent cookies stay on your computer until either a) they expire, b) they are overwritten with newer cookies, c) you manually remove them.
Most browsers can be configured not to accept cookies, however, this may prevent you from having access to some site functions or features.
Collection of Personal Information
We do not collect any personal information about you such as your name, address, vehicle, telephone number, email address when you visit our site unless you provide it to us voluntarily. If you opt not to provide us with personal information, you can still access our web site; however you may be unable to access some site functions or features such as booking a service appointment online, requesting a quote online or receiving product information.
Our primary goal in collecting personal information from you when you visit our web site is to provide you the functionality and services that you need to have a meaningful and customized experience while using the site features. We also collect personal information in order to fulfill your request(s) for services and products. For instance, when you indicate the wish to have us contact you, personal information such as name, mailing address, email address, type of request and possibly additional information, is collected and is used to fulfill the request. In some of your requests, an email notification may be generated to inform you of receipt of the request. This is the case when you choose email as the method of communication for fulfilling the request.
Use of Personal Information
- Fulfill a request such as send marketing or promotional materials, including e-mails, or other information
- Fulfill and deliver an order for goods or services such as a request for a service appointment
- Respond to your comments or requests for information
- Meet a request for or to develop new products or services
- Contact you if necessary in the course of processing or shipping an order or request for products or services
- Generate site analytics to help improve our site layout, content, product offerings and services
- Compile user data that is stored in databases and that may be used to provide products and services to you and to provide you with updates and information regarding products and services which we think may be of interest to you such as promotional offers, marketing programs, or other communications
- Match personal data collected here with data about you collected offline
- Comply with legal requirements
Links to Other Sites
Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) provides links to other websites. This site also integrates other web sites and may be integrated into other web sites. We encourage you to review the privacy statements of sites to which you are linked before providing your information to such sites so that you can understand how those sites collect, use and share your information. Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) is not responsible for the privacy statements or other content or data handling practices on other web sites.
In the case of submitting a secure online credit application form, you are certifying that the information you have provided therein is true and correct to the best of your knowledge. You also are authorizing the Bank and Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) to conduct a personal investigation, and by submitting the credit application, you are accepting notice in writing of and authorizing the obtaining of any information required that may be relating to the application for credit, from any source to whom the Bank and or Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) may apply and each source is authorized to provide the Bank and/or Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) with information. In addition, you are authorizing the Bank and/or Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) to disclose, in response to direct inquiries from any other lender or credit bureau, any information concerning your loan and account that the Bank and/or Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) considers appropriate and an agreement is made to release the Bank and/or Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM) and save them harmless from any claims, damages or otherwise arising from such disclosure made by the Bank and/or Terra Nova GMC Buick Ltd (GM).
We use all features of Google Analytics for Advertisers. That includes obtaining specific visitor cookie data, such as the source, medium and keyword used to visit our website. Google Analytics does not store any visitor specific data and we will not use visitor specific data in any way related to Google Analytics, Google AdWords, and Remarketing. We use remarketing with Google AdWords and Analytics to display content-specific advertisements to visitors that have previously visited our site when those visitors go to other websites that have the Google Display Network implemented.
We collect cookies on our Web site to capture information about page visits. This information is anonymous and we use this information only internally to deliver the most effective content to our visitors. Information from the cookies is used to gauge page popularity, analyze traffic patterns on our site, and guide development of other improvements to our site. Our site does not require that you accept cookies; however, some functionality on our Web site, as well as online products and services, may be disabled if you decline to accept cookies. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether or not to accept it. You may also change your cookie settings through preferences options in our products and/or services, where applicable.
We use Google Analytics data and DoubleClick cookies to serve ads based on a user's prior visits to our website. Site visitors may opt out of the DoubleClick cookies by visiting the Google advertising opt-out page or they may opt out of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt-out page.
We take our users’ privacy very seriously. We feel that certain personal information should always be kept private, so we’ve developed restrictions around the types of ads where we don’t allow remarketing. When creating remarketing lists, we can’t use any sensitive information about users. This includes information such as their financial status, sexual orientation, and other sensitive categories.
As AdWords advertisers, we are restricted from and will not perform the following actions:
(a) Running ads that collect Personally Identifiable Information (PII) including, but not limited to, email addresses, telephone numbers, and credit card numbers.
(b) Creating a remarketing list or creating ad text that specifically targets users in ways that are outlined as “prohibited” by Google.
Visitors can opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertisers and opt out of customized Google Display Network ads by visiting the Ads Preferences Manager. Google has additional information available about their Remarketing Privacy Guidelines, Policies, and Restrictions.