5 Auto Maintenance Tips That Will Help Your Vehicle Make it Through Winter
Winter Auto Maintenance Tips
Taking the proper steps to prepare your vehicle for driving in winter is an essential part of being ready for the cold temperatures that are on their way. Winters can be brutal on a car, pickup truck, crossover, and SUV, and if you want your vehicle to get you through the winter without any breakdowns, now is the time to get it ready. To help you get ready for winter driving, Terra Nova GMC Buick is offering these five auto maintenance tips to help you prepare. With these winter car care tips, your vehicle will be ready and prepared for the cold winter months.
[People Also Read: Why Should You Put on Winter tires?]
5 Winter Car Care Tips
- Change your oil to the proper viscosity: Having the correct type of engine oil is essential at any time of the year, but during the cold winter months, it’s even more important to have the proper viscosity. Cold temperatures will make your oil thicker, thus reducing engine circulation. This can be avoided by having oil that is thinner than normal put into your vehicle.
- Put snow tires on your car: Snow tires are an essential part of being able to drive safely in the winter as they are specifically designed for driving in cold weather. Snow tires are made of a softer rubber than all-season tires and also have a different tread pattern that offers increased traction control in the snow and on ice.
- Check all your fluid levels: Make sure all your fluids are topped off before winter starts so you can be sure that your vehicle will perform properly in cold temperatures. From antifreeze to windshield washer fluid, it’s important to keep all your fluids at their proper levels.
- Check your battery: A car battery typically has more difficulty operating in colder weather, so you’ll want to make sure that it is ready for the cold months ahead. If your battery is weak, now is the time to replace it. The last thing you want is to get stranded somewhere with a dead battery.
- Check your windshield wipers: Wiper blades typically only last a year, and if you’re already experiencing some smearing when you use them, now is the time to change them. During the winter months, it’s essential that you’re able to clear your windshield when it’s snowing out and when driving on snow-melted road surfaces so you can see the road ahead of you.
If you would like to have your vehicle checked out to see if it’s ready for winter driving, please contact an automotive maintenance expert at Terra Nova GMC Buick today to schedule an appointment in our service department.
[Schedule: Winter Car Care Service]